This guide walks through the Meta Spark Player’s mirroring feature to preview your augmented reality effects in real time. The mirroring feature is a useful tool that allows you to see how your effects will look in different orientations and on different devices. Download the app here.
Requirements for previewing effects in Meta Spark Player:
- Meta Spark Player app installed on iOS or Android device.
- iTunes installed on Windows computers (for testing on iOS devices).
- USB cable for device connection.
Connecting your device
When you’re ready to mirror your effect:
- Connect mobile device to computer via USB cable.
- Open Meta Spark Player app on device.
If connecting an iOS device for the first time:
- On macOS 10.14 and below, open iTunes and accept a prompt to trust the device.
- On macOS 10.15 and above, open Finder, select the device, and click Trust.
- On a mobile device, tap Trust when prompted.
If you’re using Meta Spark Player for the first time:
- Enable access to camera and microphone
- Turn on Developer mode and USB debugging in settings (Android only).
Mirroring your project
To mirror your project in the Meta Spark Player app:
- In Meta Spark Studio, click the Test on device icon in the toolbar.
- Under Sharing Effect, you'll see your connected device listed.
- Click Send.
You will now see the effect playing on the device.
If the effect takes a while to send to your device, it may indicate that Meta Spark Studio is compressing the textures in your project. Disable compression for initial testing by selecting None from the dropdown in the Compression section of the Inspector for the selected texture. Use the appropriate compression setting before exporting your effect and test on the device during creation.
Viewing previous versions of effects
To view earlier versions of mirrored projects:
- Open Meta Spark Player.
- Tap the menu in top left, select effect and version.
- Tap Done to see the previous version on the device.
For performance testing:
- Check the FPS displayed when the effect is playing in the Meta Spark Player app.
- Aim for FPS of 30 or higher.
- Tap FPS for more detailed information on effect performance.
- Learn about improving effect performance.
How do I test an effect using the Meta Spark Player app?
To test your effect:
- Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable.
- Open the app on your device.
- Open project in Meta Spark Studio.
- Click Test on device icon in the toolbar.
- Select device from Sharing Experience.
- Click Send to see the effect playing on your device.
Can I view effects in the Meta Spark Player app while offline?
Yes, if you mirrored effects previously with the Meta Spark Player app.
Why isn't the Mobile Meta Spark icon visible in the Test on device popover?
The Mobile Meta Spark icon is only visible when Shared Effect is enabled in the Project Properties.
Why isn't the Send button visible?
It only appears when a mobile device is connected via USB cable.
Why is the Send to Device button spinning
Meta Spark Studio may be compressing textures. Disable texture compression for while you’re testing by selecting None from the Compression dropdown in the Inspector.
Why can't I preview my effect in Meta Spark Player?
Make sure that:
- You have the latest versions of both Meta Spark Studio and the app.
- Your device is connected correctly via USB.
- You clicked Send under Sharing Effect.
Why isn't Meta Spark Studio showing my device when it's connected via USB?
- Meta Spark Player is open on your device.
- You're using the latest version of Meta Spark Player.
- USB debugging is enabled (for Android devices).
If there's no blue dot next to the Test on device icon, Meta Spark Studio can’t detect a connection to your phone.
- Both Meta Spark Studio and your device are set as trusted.
- Your USB is connected between your phone and your computer.
- iTunes is downloaded for Windows to iOS mirroring.
What info does the AR Studio Player app store?
It stores a version of your effect whenever you click Send. This means you can view previously mirrored effects offline.
How do I view previous versions of an effect?
In Meta Spark Player:
- Select the effect.
- Select the version.
- Tap Done.